Sunday, April 13, 2008

What a difference a year makes.

Before my friend Mike took me on my Front Sight Pilgrimage in December 2006, he took me shooting. I was shooting my Beretta 92 FS (9mm), and I could hit the paper of the target, but not so much the target. Then I shot Mike's Glock 23 (.40), and I was even worse. I was so bad that I doubt that I could have even killed myself with Mike's weapon. I probably would've missed.

I put about 2000 rounds through my Beretta last year, and with my Front Sight training, I was confident I could use it in an emergency and not need to be embarrassed. Mike slowly and patiently converted me to the Glock.

A couple weeks ago, I finally got to go out and start shooting my new Glock 23 (.40 - just like Mike's). I was seriously pleased. This target was at about 7 or 8 yards. A little over a year ago, that target would have been the safest place down range with my shooting, but my constant reviewing of what I learned combined with dry practice and actual practice have finally given me some targets I can be proud of.

I still have a tendency to pull a little left (as you can see), so I probably need a little more finger in the trigger. Mike's at Front Sight this weekend, so when he gets back, I'll have him do a little more indepth training with me. I full expect him to be a Distinguished Graduate this trip. :)

No comments: