Saturday, April 5, 2008

Wow, has it been that long?

Seven months. That's how long it's been since I last wrote in this blog. I can't excuse the long gap, but I can explain it: Life, mortality, and work.

I'm on call 24/7/365, and it has been an extremely looooooong winter here with 50+ inches of snow this year, and temps that haven't been seen here in years.

Two significant things on this front of my personal life:

First, I spent several weeks developing a Crisis Response Plan for our church - a plan that covers everything from fire drills to hostile intruders. It was a tedious process to develop a plan for a 20,000 square-foot building with four exits while keeping it simple enough to limit the confusion that occurs in any crisis. We then trained over 125 of our volunteers in how it works. (We'll be doing refresher courses once a year, plus actually practicing the fire drills when our kids are here so that they know what to do, too.)

Second, I sold my Beretta 92FS (9mm) and purchased a Glock 23 (.40 cal). I've gotten to put about 150 rounds through it in the past month, and I'm in love. I really enjoyed my 9mm, but this .40 cal is seriously taking my heart. It's got a much deeper, throaty bark than the Beretta, and it's taking me a little time to get used to it, but my shots are all grouped together and about the size of a hand at 7 yards. I owe that pleasure to my training at Front Sight. (Man, I have flashbacks to the teachers there nearly everyday. They made a major impression on me.)

Before I go - I know, I know, why did I go with the 23 rather than the 22? I'm not a big guy, and someday I'd like to have my CCW permit, and after talking to several Glock owners, that's the one I decided on. The shorter length works in my favor for CCW, and at the ranges I would hafta use it, the change in accuracy is negligible.

No comments: